Our ancestors have worn their offspring for thousands of years. Growing up, I watched countless babies on the backs of their mothers and knew that I would carry my own children. But I live in the mid west. All I saw was babies in strollers. Luckily enough, after I went to a La Leche Leauge meeting, I met women in my local baby wearing international chapter and joined soon after.
Here is what I love about baby wearing
- I get shit done. I would not have been able to work at my office with Thandie for 4 months if it was not for my ability to wear her. Thandiwe is content to hang out on my back while I do chores, blog (i’m wearing her right now), grocery shop, or walk my dogs.
- Unlimited snuggles and kisses
- Babies who are worn cry less, they feel safer, they learn faster. Learn more here
- Hands free breastfeeding! I’ve given presentations standing and moving around in front of groups of people while Thandie happily nursed.
- Its simplified my travel with an infant. I don’t have to worry about a stroller. She is going on 8 months and we still have never used one.
- Baby wearing builds a bond with her dad. Because I am her primary source of nutrition and comfort, Thandie spends most of her time with me. Baby-wearing brings my partner closer to her.
- Baby-wearing allowed me to meet a new community and make great friends.
*full disclosure – I am a chapter support volunteer for my local baby wearing international chapter so even though I am not getting paid for this I am completely biased*
If you are interested in baby-wearing, here are some tips:
Try out different carriers until you find the one that works for you. That is what is great about the baby wearing international organization. Its a non-profit that focuses on education surrounding baby wearing. Most local chapters have lending libraries that allow members to try out carriers for a period of time before they make their own purchases. I tried out several different carriers for 30 days before I settled on the best one for my family.
Look for a local baby wearing buy sell trade group so you can buy a pre-loved carrier second hand. It is cheaper and better for the environment.
Join a support group like babywearing while black or a chat group so you can ask questions online.
Don’t give up, at first, Thandie hated being worn- but after I found the right fit for us, she loved it. I will write a post about my favorite carriers soon.
Peace and baby snuggles