Moon Time, Aunt Flo, Shark week, whatever you wanna call it, some people menstruate. I used to hate my period. I was terrified of staining my clothing, I was ashamed to be seen carrying a pad or tampon to the bathroom because it was gross and embarrassing. I would be incapacitated from the pain and was miserable. One day, I came across Precious Star Pads – a young british tween on Youtube who’s life goal was exploring RUMPs also known as reusable menstrual products and my period was never the same. Today, I wanna share ways that I built a better relationship with my period and how I made my moon time more eco-friendly
What I did to become friends with my period
- When I became vegetarian, I ate a mostly plant based diet. Lots of fruit and vegetables. I drank loads of water and avoided processed foods. This DRASTICALLY changed my period. It became regular and I only cramped on the first day. When i’d fall off the wagon and eat a bunch of processed foods high in sugar or salt then my cramps would come back with a vengeance. I made the connection (duh) that my diet affected my cramps and about a week before my period I would clean up my act and eat clean and hydrate and have an easy period. Something which was novel and amazing to me because I needed heavy painkillers just to cope.
- It is common knowledge now that most tampons and pads have known carcinogens in them. They are toxic. Once I started using RUMPs, my periods became lighter and less painful. Every woman I know who uses them has said the same thing too.
- I tracked my period using an app and familiarized myself with my cycle. This allowed me be really in tune with my body and my natural rhythms. I knew I was pregnant within ta few days because I was so in tune with myself. I took multiple pregnancy tests and a blood test those first few weeks that came back negative (because it was too early to tell) but I KNEW I was pregnant because I knew my body.
- I stopped treating my period like it was an inconvenience like I was told and started taking it easy (this is not an option for all menstruating folks) but made a huge difference for me.
Moon Time Helpers
RUMP’s are great because they reduce the amount of waste going to landfills and they are better for your health. Precious Star Pads has tried and reviewed several different types of RUMPS on her YouTube channel but I will share what I have and continue to use.
- Sea Sponge for tampons – I don’t use these anymore but I much prefer them to tampons. I purchased a soft sea sponge. You add water to it and squeeze it into a tiny squoosh ball (they shrink tremendously) and insert it into your vaginal canal the same way you would a tampon. It expands as it absorbs your menses, you take it out, rinse it out real good, squoosh it back into a small ball and repeat.
- Cloth pads – My go-to . I purchased some off of etsy and used them for years, including post partum. Just change them out like you would regular disposable pads and chuck them in the wash or into a bucket filled with water until wash day. Add some vinegar or some tea- tree essential oil for an anti-bacterial boost and you are good to go .
- Free bleeding – Lay a towel or two down and go to bed in the buff. It will wash out honey.
- Menstrual Cups – I have yet to use these, but they are next on my try out list. It takes a bit to find the right fit, but many people swear by them.
Periods are often a huge source of shame for people who menstruate, I think its time to change that narrative. Once my daughter is older, I plan on making her a moon box filled with different RUMPs, treats, and literature about the magic of periods so she never experiences the sad emotions I went through. I want to empower her to have a great relationship with her body and to be a friend to herself.