I am excited to introduce a guest interview series to my blog entitled What’s in my Bag Wednesday.
I am fascinated by people, what makes them tick, and what they choose to carry along with them when they leave their homes is a tiny sliver into their world. This interview series will feature diverse minimalist/minimalist leaning people. My hope is that we learn a little something, or find ways to improve or streamline our day to day existence.
Our first feature is my pal Asia of home.with.asia where she documents her life as a budding minimalist homemaker with two toddlers in tow. I’ve enjoyed watching Asia define her style, space, and home while facing the challenges that come with being a military family.
Asia, thanks so much for doing this girl! How long have you practiced minimalism or been interested in minimalism, and why?
Hi, Farai I would like to start off by saying thank you for considering me to be featured in your new series and thank you so much for the kind words!
I heard about minimalism/simple living a while ago but didn’t start actually researching and taking action until my husband left for Korea. I thought this lifestyle change would help me solo parent better and it has, cleaning is so much easier, I have so much time to just play with my kids and I’m happier because I don’t feel cluttered. I’m so grateful for giving it a chance, I’m still a newbie but I’ll say I’m doing just fine!
What are your favorite blogs, resources, books that you go to for inspiration?
Instagram has helped my journey, following like minded moms and seeing their version of minimalism. Also I feel like the book Slow simple living for a frantic world by Brooke McAlary has impacted my journey recently, her book helped me declutter my mind and rethink things like “my journey is going to look different from others and that’s okay, I’m not doing anything wrong!”
Ok, let’s get down to the good stuff! What’s in your bag?
Well first off I have a Fawn Design diaper bag, my friends surprised me with it for my birthday this year! Okay let’s see what’s in here:
- Honest diapers + wipes + gathre mat = best combo ever. Especially with these woodland prints out!
- A good book- I’m reading more, so instead of scrolling on social media when the kids fall asleep in the car and we’re in the driveway ,or a parking lot- I can just grab my book!
- Planner + notepad- There’s always something on my mind, I always need a pen and notepad close to me!
- A reusable bag – my kids and I sometimes take random car rides and never know where we’ll end up, so it’s always good to be prepared.
- Stainless steel water bottles and Stasher bags for snacks .
- Extra clothes (not pictured) because I had to use them today, but I always try to have a extra pair of clothing for my one year old and four year old! No matter how old your kid is, I’ve learned to always have extra clothing for them because you’ll never know what they can get into. My four year old is always in dirt and water!
It’s not much but it’s all we need! I don’t like carrying around too much because I don’t like having to dig and take everything out my diaper bag to find one thing, and I don’t like a heavy diaper bag. Just carry the essentials .
Thank you to Asia for giving us a peek into her life. Find her here.